Thursday, January 9, 2014

Bridges Rethought and the GOP in '16

I'm probably overstating my case. Politics is no longer about chances. It's about money. And even a losing campaign makes a shit-ton of cash. And a cash flow that continues long after the run. Even (and here's where it gets interesting) campaigns by people that are not actually running. Think Sarah Palin. No. I can't back up a damn thing here. I may have overstated it. Call it a hunch. A working hypothesis. Another angle. We will probably never know. I'm saying Christie would not have run. And even if he ran, he would not have RUN...I could be wrong. But the math and the history, and the situation would say he would still be happy in the Jersey Governor's Mansion.
There's more coming out about the bridge story. Rachel Maddow tonight made a good case that the Mayor of Fort Lee was not the target, if there was a target, or a motive. This may be more serpentine than we can even guess yet. One way or another, Christie may not be out of the woods yet. Or we may be reading the whole thing wrong...
Perry, Santorum, and Cain...Any of them could publish a book about anything they want....Cain? A book about numerology where all the answers to everything prove Douglas Adams was wrong with "42". Everything is "999"... Perry could publish a book called "My Wonderful Summers at N*****head." Santorum? Well....fill in your own jokes... And they would all find buyers and money on a lecture tour. Santorum may be stupid enough to think he was a serious candidate. The others? ...Politics as performance art.
There is no road to the White House from anyone in the GOP that is part of the noise machine, or the clown car. The guys that really scare me are the ones just under the radar, the money guys that are not necessarily darlings of the tea baggers, but haven't pissed them off yet. Kasich and Thune come to mind. They would be the toughest. But come the general, and they will have to take on, or at least answer to, some of the wing nut baggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"And if California slides into the ocean, like the mystics and statistics say it will, I predict this hotel will be standing until I pay my bill"