Sunday, January 5, 2014

Predictions for the Coming Year

Seems to be about average. I have a few things I'll disagree with.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2014/01/what-will-happen-in-2014-a-bluffers-guide.html

1. Can he? Sure. Will he? The author hedges his bets. A lot of things are happening in the world, many out of the President's hands, but seemingly his fault. Some things he's just not going to do right. Cards on the table? I'm going to generally like what he does, but his approval numbers will be flat or down by the end of the year.

2. Nope. The economy and politicians will focus on Fed policy instead of jobs, minimum wages, and economic inequality. As the bottom and middle lose buying power, a trend I predict will continue, any economic growth will be illusory.

3. Nope. It's way too easy to attack for all the wrong reasons, and there are powers that have strong motive for such attacks. We should have single payer. No-muss, no-fuss.

4.  Again. Can they, or will they? I think they can. But they will trip over their own tongues. The extremists are all that's left steering their ship. They can't shut up. So, no.

5. Yes. No brainer.

6. Whether they do or not depends less on us than we think, and more on their Arab neighbors. And the insanity that is Islam. So, I'm going to call this a coin flip that leans toward no.

7. No. For all the reasons the author states, plus, the insanity that is Islam.

8. A brief cease fire, maybe. Lasting and meaningful peace? Be serious...

9. Yes.

10. I have no idea. Never seen one. Never seen anyone buy a drink at a bar with one. Out of my realm.

11. Yes. Eventually. This year? Coin flip. But the underlying problem of speculation rather than rebuilding a viable working class will doom any real stable growth, and no one is really going to attack that. I refer you to this article:

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2014/01/02/killed-red-lobster/

12. Who knows?  Most popular sport in the world. A lot of people care. I'm not one of them. Who won the last time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"And if California slides into the ocean, like the mystics and statistics say it will, I predict this hotel will be standing until I pay my bill"